Always a Booklover

The magic of books just enchants me. I love reading, what more can I say?

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Childhood Favorites - [3]


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish.

Hmm, I'm still like a child? I mean I'm only 16! My childhood is barely over! Alright alright, I guess you can say I'm in teenager-hood now. Ok, I shall endeavour to remember some of my favorite books in the past.

1. The Babysitter's Club Series by Ann M. Martin

I remember really loving this book when I was about 7-9 years old. I saw my cousin reading it, and I was super intrigued by it! Though it was in the 9-12 year section of my library, I didn't even hesitate to read it! I guess I've always been an advanced reader...

2. Samurai Girl Series by Carrie Asai
I always used to see this in my library, albeit under the teenage section. I think I was about 10 at the time? Basically, I always saw it but I never read it, believing that it wouldn't be good. Finally, when I was about 11, I decided to just try it. It was love at first sight read. I was instantly engrossed and it has always left a big impression on me. I mean, its like every time I decide to underestimate a book, it turns out to be way better than anything I could have imagined. Look at Whitney, My Love. I think you get my point.

3. Peter and the Wolf by Sergei Prokofiev
No childhood favorites list could be complete without this book. I remember when I was young, about 4-5 years? I would wander about my house searching for books to read. The book I invariably decided to read was this book (I think, I hope I didn't remember wrongly.) simply because it was the thickest book in my bookshelf at that time and I wanted to read more. Even then, I remember trying to read as fast as I could. Most books, took me about 5 minutes in the past I think but this one took me 10 minutes and I was always trying to cut it down. Yes, I know. I was born weird. Seriously.

4. Fearless series by
This wasn't exactly a childhood read? I think I read it when I was 12. A similar situation happened with this book as with Samurai Girl, but for these I had learnt my lesson and decided to just try it. Needless to say, I wasn't disappointed. It was really a pretty cool series. I didn't read a lot though!

5. Replica series by Marilyn Kaye
This series has left a very strong impression on me. I only read a few books, but those that I read, I absolutely loved. I mean, I still remember a bit of the plot up till now and even the main character's name. If you know me, that's an amazing feat. I can forget character names within a few minutes of reading the book. Don't ask me why, I'm just weird that way. But this series left me with a very deep impression, especially one of the books, Return of the Perfect Girls. I remember so much of that book, its kinda freaky, considering I read it more than 5 years ago. I probably read it when I was 11 or 12? Maybe even 10... But I think the reason why I remembered that book was because of the competition in it. It was exactly like Survivor and I've always loved that sort of thing, even at a young age. I think I want to read the series again. Heh, the search of the title for this series just showed me how amazing Google is. I literally typed in "book young adult amy clones superpower" and the first result was the series title. Wow, the internet sure is huge. Oh and I think I want to read the whole series again! There are 24 books, but I don't think each book is very long. That time, I think I took about 45 minutes to an hour to finish one, so I should probably be able to repeat that feat! Maybe I'll try! If I can find the books. It is a very old series after all.

6. Diadem series by John Peel
I own this whole series. I've read it a few times, last time was 2 years ago, I think. I started this reading when I was 9 or 10. Because I distinctly remember bringing the book to school and my teacher using the book as some example on how to write something. And that was when I was 10. I'm not sure whether that was my first or second read so I really don't remember. In any case, I really do enjoy the books, regardless of the many flaws and errors you find when you're reading it. And guess what! I just found out that apparently there are supposed to be 2 more books, but they were supposed to be published last year... Hmm maybe it was postponed! I wouldn't mind reading the books though!

7. Spx X by Peter Lerangis
Hmm, I really enjoyed these books. It was super addictive and super intriguing. The spy part of it was really cool and I loved the code solving in it! I even went so far as to play the game online!

8. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
This was one of the only classics I've ever read and enjoyed. I think I read it twice, amazing as that may sound. I think my second read was when I was 11 as I remember borrowing it from my school library. I really enjoyed the adventures depicted inside the book. Though, I don't think I'll read it again, it'll always have a special place in my heart.

9. The Tortall Series by Tamora Pierce.
I own the first 3 quartets of the Tortall series, namely Song of the Lioness, The Immortals and Protector of the Small. I really these 3 quartets. I've read the Song of the Lioness quartet at least 5 times. Actually, the first quartet I got was Wild Magic, the first book of the Immortals. It was a gift from my mum. I read it, I quite liked it. But I didn't really think about the next few books. One day, I think I decided to just buy it. Then, I think another time, I accidentally stumbled onto the Song of the Lioness one and I was super interested in it. It was only later that I realised the two quartets were linked. As for Protector of the Small, it's actually my favorite quartet. I dunno why, maybe its because it was the longest and had the most character development and interaction.

10. Alias series (A number of authors wrote this series)
I remember this series because my mum told me the books were rather interesting to read. She doesn't really enjoy reading, yet she actually recommended me to read the books. I then knew that I had to read them. And I really did enjoy them, though some things were a little complicated for me at the time. I think I was 11. I only read a few novels, perhaps 3-5? But those that I read I did enjoy quite a lot. I don't really remember much of the story except the main character's name, Sydney and the fact that someone she trusted, mayhap her boss, betrayed her. Oh, she was a spy by the way!

I realise that most of the books in my lists are series. It appears that when I was younger, I really enjoyed reading series! Heh, I'm really surprised. As you can see, I was pretty childish while I was young! But keep in mind that all these books I read mostly between the ages of 7-11. So well, I guess it's acceptable! And I really can't believe I came up with all these. When I saw the list title, I was stunned, but somehow, I made it to 10 pretty easily! And my descriptions are really rather long gosh! I surprised even myself when I an write so much crap!

So, which are your favorite childhood books? Or ones that hold special memories for you? Leave a comment and tell me!

Love,
Flame:)

4 comments:

Wow, I haven't heard of a lot of these. I really liked series fiction when I was a kid, too. Once I finally learned to read, I went through books so quickly, it kinda seemed like a waste to read a stand-alone!

 

These sound great. My favorites were The Nancy Drew and Bobbsey Twins series.

<a href="http://its-raining-books.blogspot.com/>Here's my Post<a/>

 

We share a common author: Tamora Pierce. I haven't heard of a lot of the books listed; I may need to look into them.

My Top Ten

 

@Madigan McGillicuddy: I know what you mean! I think that was mainly running through my head when I decided to read series fiction! Or just perhaps the stand-alones never made a real impact on me!

 

Post a Comment

Hey there! Comments will make any blogger's day, so leave a comment! Be it good or bad, I want to hear it :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...